A Day In The A Blue Mountains.

Thanks for visiting my blog. I welcome you to take your time and browse , visiting my bush garden and discovering the wonders of my city within a national park; Blue Mountains National Park. Via my blog you will travel with me through the successes, trials and tribulations of gardening on a bush block. I share with you my patchwork & quilting, knitting, paper crafts, cooking and life in general.

Thursday 10 February 2011

Worm Farming.

Today, I harvested some worm castings from my worm farm.  The castings were used to feed the potted herbs and a few vegetables.  I also  collected some of the worm tea and diluted it to make a liquid fertilizer to water all the plants.
While I was at it, I decided to revitalize the farm.

The worms are always feed at one end of the box so it was easy to harvest the worm cast from the other end.  Once all the cast had been removed I made up a new 'bed' for the worms.

The way I like to explain how to prepare a worm farm to my Grand Daughter is that it's a bit like making them a bed.
First add something nice and soft for them to sleep in (moistened shredded newspaper, leaves or sugarcane mulch).
Next is the food, and last of all, a blanket to keep them warm.  The blanket could be an old hessian bag, sheets of newspaper or some old cotton fabric, which should be made nice and damp.
I will now stop feeding the worms from the usual end of the box and start feed from the newly laid out 'bed'.
Of course if you're starting a new bed arrange all of the above over the entire bottom of the box which has had holes punched into the bottom.  Of course you will need to add your worms too but as my farm already has worms I have skipped this step.

Here is the bottom box into which the worm tea is collected.  A brick is placed into the base to prevent any worms that may fall through from drowning.


Don't forget to place a tight fitting lid onto the top box, keep in a cool area out of direct sun.
During the summer months the worms need to be fed (place food under the blanket) almost daily but experience has taught me that during winter once a week may be sufficient.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Welcome

I welcome your comments; they are little personal notes to me. I enjoy reading what each of you have to say. Thanks for dropping by.