Gluten Free Lavender Shortbread
250g unsalted butter brought to room temperature and cut into cubes
100g caster sugar
300g plain gluten free flour, sifted with
90g rice flour sifted with the flour above
¼ teaspoon Xanthan Gum sifted and added to above flour.
1tbsp dried lavender flowers
3-5 drops lavender oil
Dried lavender flowers
Tip: Use lavender that has not been sprayed with chemicals.
- Preheat the oven to 150C fan forced, 160C conventional. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy in the bowl of an electric mixer.
- Stir in lavender oil and dried lavender flowers.
- On the lowest setting or with a spatula, work in the flours. Do not over mix.
- Turn out dough onto lightly floured surface and knead gently until smooth. Divide dough in half. Use your hands to shape each portion into an 18cm diameter disc.
- Transfer portions to baking trays, pinch edges to create a fluted edge. Prick all over with a fork. Score each disc with a knife into 8 wedges.
- Bake for 40 minutes until light yellow but not quite golden.
- Remove from oven and dust with extra caster sugar and dried lavender flowers. Cool on trays for 10 minutes, transfer to wire rack and when completely cool, cut into wedges.
Recipe Links @ Life Is A Pea Blog:
Thai Spiked Pumpkin Soup
Chicken Loaf with Beans
750 g chicken mince (I have used lamb mince)
1 cup (70g) fresh breadcrumbs (I have used gluten free rice crumbs)
2 eggs lightly beaten
2 rashers rindless bacon, chopped
1 onion finely chopped
2 tablespoonsful chopped parsley
2 garlic cloves crushed
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
200g beans green beans trimmed, blanched and well drained
1 tablespoon olive oil
3/4 cup white wine
Mashed potato to serve
1. Preheat oven to 180C. Combine chicken mince, bread crumbs, eggs, bacon, onion, parsley, garlic and mustard in a large bowl, mixing well. Season to taste.
2. Using wet hands, flatten mince mixture onto a piece of baking paper to form a rectangle 18 x 28 cm and about 1 cm thick.
3. Arrange beans down centre of mince, then fold it over beans to form a large sausage shape. Pat ends together to seal.
4. Heat oil in a baking pan in oven for 10mins. Place chicken loaf in pan and bake for 25-30mins. Remove from oven, turn loaf over with a spatula. Pour over 1/2 cup wine.
5. Bake for another 15mins, basting until golden brown and cooked through. Transfer loaf to a plate.
6. Pour remaining wine into pan and stir on high heat, scraping cooked pieces from base of pans, for 3 mins, until reduced by half. Add butter an stir on high heat for 1min. Serve slices of chicken loaf and mashed potato.
I think this recipe originated from Table magazine.
Gluten Free Pizza Base
White Pizza with Gluten Free Pizza Base
Buckwheat Pancakes. Cornish Hevva Cake (Make them gluten free by substituting plain flour with gluten free flour). Home Made Ice Cream Olliebollen One Stage Foundation Cake
1 cup rolled oats3/4 cup dessicated coconut1 cup plain flour*1 1/2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda2 tablespoons boiling water
1 cup sugar1/2 cup butter1 tbsp golden syrupMix oats, coconut, flour and sugar together in a large bowl.Melt syrup and butter together.Mix soda with boiling water and add to melted syrup and butter.Add to dry ingredients.Roll tablespoon of mixture and place on greased tray.Bake in a slow oven for 20 minutes. (Less for fan forced oven).*(I used gluten free all purpose flour.)This recipe is from 1968 edition of "The Commonsense Cookery Book".75g frozen berries of your choice (unsweetened)or you may use fresh but I haven't tried using fresh berries as yet.125g homemade natural yoghurtgranola (optional).If you wish to sweeten your smoothie I suggest a teaspoon of maple syrup. I find that I do not need a sweetener.Place berries and yoghurt in a bowl and blend with a stick blender or alternatively blend in a blender or food processor until smooth.Pour into glass and top with granola if using.I prefer to allow mine to sit for a few minutes to thaw out a bit before eating/drinking.
DRESSINGSLemon Vinaigrette Dressing