A Day In The A Blue Mountains.

Thanks for visiting my blog. I welcome you to take your time and browse , visiting my bush garden and discovering the wonders of my city within a national park; Blue Mountains National Park. Via my blog you will travel with me through the successes, trials and tribulations of gardening on a bush block. I share with you my patchwork & quilting, knitting, paper crafts, cooking and life in general.

Wednesday 24 July 2013

The Three Sisters

According to Aboriginal legend, The Three Sisters at Katoomba is a rock formation that represents three sisters who fell in love with three brothers from the Nepean tribe.
'Meehni', 'Wimlah' and 'Gunnedoo' lived in the Jamison Valley as part of the Katoomba tribe. By law, they were forbidden to marry the brothers of the Nepean tribe.  The brothers challenged the law and a tribal battle ensued.  
Now the sisters were in danger so a Katoomba witch-doctor - wanting to protect them - turned them into stone.
His intention, once the battle was over, was to reverse the spell.  Except he did not foresee his death during as a result of the battle and the three sisters remain, generations later, as rock formations overlooking the valley.


This is only one of the legends to explain the attraction that is the Three Sisters at Katoomba, in the Blue Mountains.

I live about a thirty minute drive from Katoomba.  If you have been following my blog you will know that I travel to Katoomba every three months or so to visit the Food Co-op to purchase a lot of my groceries in bulk.

The drive up the mountain, over the past couple of years, has been a bit of an ordeal due to the constant road works taking place.

I liken the road works to a nomad, moving up, then down, then up the mountain.

Very rarely do the road works move to one side and then the other because the Great Western Highway travels in an east-west direction due to the geography of the Great Dividing Range.

So, I time my travel up the mountain. Much of the trip must now be travelled at a speed of forty kilometres per hour. Most of the rest of the trip is travelled at sixty kilometres per hour, and a very small portion is travelled at eighty kilometres per hour.  Do you get the picture?

This morning I took up an offer to have morning tea with some lovely women whom I had not actually met before except via a Facebook group exclusive to the Blue Mountains.

The weather has been so nippy I found it difficult to commit so waited to see what the weather would be like.

Blue skies greeted me this morning.  The sun glowed and the air was crisp.
Even though it was very cold the sun was defiantly shining.
So off I travelled to a little Blue Mountain village called Lawson for a hot cuppa and a chat.
Determined to make the most of the trip I decided that afterwards I'd continue up the mountain to top up my pantry with supplies from the Co-op.

I was overwhelmed by the beautiful day and on the spur of the moment decided that a visit to Echo Point was in order.

Nature did not disappoint.




Just to give you a scale of this attraction here are some photographs of the lookout at Echo Point.




While I was there I decided to pop into the souvenir shop and I found these...



My apologies...but I have to say...you have to be an Australian or a New Zealander to see the point of the last two photographs.
Possum Merino sock made in New Zealand.  All  you New Zealanders reading this...my commiserations. 


And a cute little trend starting here.

2 comments:

  1. what a lovely post, with gorgeous photos. I felt as if I had made the trip with you (how I'd love to do just that!).
    I'm thinking the padlocks ring a bell. One of my blog friends, Helsie travelled to France with her husband and before she left she had a small padlock engraved with both their names which she locked onto a bridge. Was it in Paris? I'm trying to remember about that now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I zoomed in on the photo Kath, yes some of the padlocks do look like they have engraving on them. I will take a closer look next time I'm there.
      I'm not sure how long these will be allowed though as some of them already look like they are leaving their mark on the metal fencing.
      Would love to see you this way...as you can see, it's an amazing place to visit!

      Delete

Comments Welcome

I welcome your comments; they are little personal notes to me. I enjoy reading what each of you have to say. Thanks for dropping by.